Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Shalom from Jerusalem!!!

I made it! I am in Jerusalem and it is awesome!!!!! I arrived here one week ago today and it already seems like I've been here forever. I don't even know where to start, so I guess I'll just go chronologically.

The first day we showed up after 24 straight hours on planes and layovers and I was trashed. The BYU Jerusalem Center is amazing. I never dreamed it would be so nice. Apparently it was the most expensive church owned building ever built before they built the conference center. The view of the city from the center is nothing short of breathtaking. The Jerusalem Center, positioned on top of the Mt. of Olives, overlooks the Old City in the foreground with West Jerusalem in the background across the valley. Here's a night shot of the city from my room at the Jerusalem Center.

The next day they showed us around the city and all of the places we could go to change our money and buy different things. I loved walking through the old city. The streets are all made out of limestone that has been smoothed out from countless footsteps. It is a truly unique experience to walk down the narrow streets of the old city with one vendor after another displaying their shiny trinkets, jewelry, leather sandals and bags, olive wood carvings, rich smelling mounds of spices, candy, hanging meat (pigs and lamb), buckets full of putrid smelling entrails, t-shirts, designer clothing, shoes, menorahs, bongs, all sorts of local clothing, and other junk. I filmed myself walking through the city and will try and upload the video later when I have a better internet connection.

The following day we went on a field trip to try and orient us with where we were in relation to significant events in the Bible. It was interesting to me how much of the old testament happened so close to Jerusalem. Like how Abraham brought Isaac to be sacrificed at the same location where the temple was later built. Here's a picture of me looking over Bethlehem and another with a camel and the dome of the rock in the background.

These were just my first couple days in Jerusalem!!! I've gotta run because I am dead tired but I'll post again tomorrow and finish up the rest of my adventures for the week.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I hate it when you have more fun than me!!!